Sunday, December 9, 2012

South Africa: Clanwilliam

Set in the Cederberg mountains, Clanwilliam is stupidly pretty. We stayed about twenty five kilometers eastish of the town past a couple of mountain passes on a property owned by friends of Bianka's. Nestled in a valley with hiking and climbing trails quite literally on its doorstep, it is with no hesitation or slaving to hyperbole that I'd say this is the most outrageously beautiful patch of land that doubles as someone's home that I've ever been to.



JP and Tracy were excellent hosts. Tracy occupied much of Bianka's time leaving JP to detail his life as a reporter for crime and conflict in Johannesburg to me ("they gave you a bulletproof vest with a couple of plates missing so you had to decide beforehand if you were going to be a hero or a coward"). Between meals and beers there was opportunity for a small hike and two short walks, further ramming home how beautiful this part of the world is.

I really can't see myself tiring of gorges carved by prehistoric glaciers, waterfalls, rock pools and meandering rivers set amongst mountains but if it does happen, it's certainly not Clanwilliam's fault. When I say I'd like to one day pack up, go bush and forget about people and their things, this is the sort of country I'm thinking of.




No comments:

Post a Comment