Monday, June 24, 2013

Senegal: Herve

I met Herve on the beach on my first morning and through some broken English he explained he was a guide and asked if I'd like to be shown the village. I agreed to hire him and we headed into the ratrace and maze of bustling and tight alleys. Maybe this was dangerous, certainly it wasn't well informed but I had three days to do something, why not violent be violently coerced into becoming a French drug mule after my organs had been harvested?

While wandering through the alleys of N'Gor, Herve asked how long I'd be there for and what I wanted to do. It was a very transparent effort at drumming up repeat business. I outlined a few ideas of things to do that Lying Planet had suggested, Herve suggested a few others, we worked out a rough itinerary and haggled by writing numbers in the sand and kicking out the more offensive ones.

All of a sudden I had a plan, a guide and presumably someone at least a little invested in keeping me out of trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment