Thursday, January 16, 2014

China: Welcome to Beijing

I don't consider it likely that the flight to any city on the planet is going to hold anyone's mind terribly captive at 2am and so for the most part I deferred to Ritchie Blackmore and Deep Purple. Even at this time the Beijing airport is bustling and customs is slow by simple virtue of numbers. Beside me is a group of Germans, we're the only white people in a cast of thousands.

At least I'll have people to drink with.

The taxi driver speaks enough English to fleece me. I know it but there's no fight in me. I'm tired and it's... it's not hot or even really humid, it just feels oppressive. We pass skyscrapers that look gloomy due to being bottom lit. It's weird, night time looks grey instead of black.

The hostel door opens on the second ring. He's too cheery for 3am. His English seems more than passable. He says a bunch of things that make sense, it's polite and proper English but I don't hear any of it. I'm beyond tired. I can work it out later, I'm sure.

Tomorrow Cam is always so resourceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment