Sunday, July 6, 2014

Alaska: Talkeetna

Conveniently, pretty much every building in Talkeetna has a pub attached to it!
Talkeetna is a small town with one main road, conveniently called Main Street. It's mostly cafes and pubs for a few hundred metres. Interspersing the places I'm most interested in were gift shops and activity shops. Pedestrians rule Main Street, cars crawl behind unfussed walkers often many abreast.

I ditch the car and wander into the Roadhouse, an eatery of some reknown for its large delicious portions delivered at a low cost. Upon noticing reindeer chilli on the menu all decision making could be concluded for the foreseeable future; spicy rudolph is exactly what I want inside of me. Sitting outside I ate cute dead animal, made friends with local porter and just people watched for a while, losing track of time. This is an excellent way to settle into a small town and I fully recommend it. Talkeetna has a pretty great feel to it; a pedestrian paced lifestyle in a town of log cabins in the woods by a river, all not too far from one of North America's finest national parks.

Admittedly, were I to live here I'd probably think it was hick-ish and inbred, but whatever. One of the joys in being a passerby is just feeling and writing whatever the hell you want into the lives of the people and buildings around you. It's not such a bad space to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment